Shopping for toys for kids on your holiday list? Some of the best toys for encouraging creative and imaginative play are those that use classic play patterns. By engaging in classic play, kids can develop fine-motor skills, social skills, story telling skills, and more! These are some of the most used favorite toys in our household. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support!
Here is our Classic Play Holiday Gift Guide 2016:
Classic Building Toys
- Magnetic Stick N Stack Magnetic Tiles Starter Set — (ages 3 and up) My kids have enjoyed their magnetic tiles sets for years and it is one of their go-to toys! I love that this set includes windows and is fully compatible with other brands. Very fun and satisfying building set.
- K’Nex 35 Model Ultimate Building Set — (ages 7 and up) This set is a tremendous value of 480 pieces and 35 different building ideas to keep future engineers happily entertained. The treasure chest makes storage and clean up a breeze. Love the versatility of this set and that kids can build real moving structures!
- Lego Chain Reactions — (ages 8 and up) I love how this set can open your existing Lego bricks to new possibilities! Comes with 33 Lego pieces and other components. Can be used with an existing Lego collection to teach kids the fundamentals of engineering in fun and engaging ways. Includes instructions to design and build 10 different moving machine projects!
- T.S. Shure ArchiQuest Modern & Post-Modern Architecture Wooden Building Blocks — (ages 5 and up) This is a beautifully designed and colorful wooden block set of 126 pieces and includes a guide to architecture. My kids have played with this set almost daily for years! I love the abstract and interesting shapes included in this set. Fosters lots of imaginative playtime fun!
Classic Small World Play
Playmobil Space Rocket with Launch Site Building Set — (ages 5-15) My 8 year old had great fun building this space rocket and launch site set and even more fun playing with it after! I love how it encourages so many fantastic play adventures and scenarios. The movable maintenance platform is one of her favorite parts about this set, along with the cool satellite. The set includes 2 space technician characters, repair robot, satellite, space rocket, tools, and more. She loves it so much that she is asking for the Playmobil Space Shuttle Building Kit (which is sold separately and can be added to this set) on her holiday wish list this year. You can check out Clara’s detailed video review here.
- Melissa & Doug Hi-Rise Wooden Dollhouse — (ages 3-6 years) This dollhouse comes with 15 piece furniture set and features a working elevator. I love the open sides and the gender neutral color scheme!
Playmobil Take Along Schoolhouse Play Set — (ages 4 and up) If you have a future teacher to shop for this holiday season, the Playmobil Take Along Schoolhouse Play Set is a great gift idea! The set includes 1 adult figure, 3 child figures, chalkboard, desks, books, writing utensils, ruler, bike with bike rack, and more. I love that it folds up for easy storage and travel to and from the grandparents’ house. It is one of Clara’s favorite toys and is a terrific complement to the Playmobil School Bus Vehicle Play Set!
- CAT Caterpillar Construction Toys Mini Machine Set — Lot of 12 construction vehicles including Dump Trucks, Bulldozers, Wheel Loaders and Excavators. Individually packaged. So many possibilities for these construction vehicles! They can be used as cake toppers, or would be the perfect addition to any sandbox or sensory bin. Recently, we used this set with a sensory bin of fake snow and small bottle brush trees to create a small world Christmas tree farm. Lots of creative fun!!
- Janod Circus Story Box (ages 3 and up) — How adorable is this circus play set?? Put on your own show, or create your own story with this wooden play set. I love how the circus tent storage box doubles as a play piece as well!
Classic Role Play
- Melissa & Doug Food Groups Set — (ages 3-6 years) Not only have my kids enjoyed this play food set for years, but they also use the small wooden crates for sorting activities and more! One of the basics for their play kitchen set and is still played with on a regular basis.
A photo posted by Valerie at InnerChildFun.com (@innerchildfun) on
Aeromax Jr. Astronaut Suit — (sizes 6 months – 12/14 yrs) One of my kids’ absolute favorite pretend play costumes! Very realistic with detailed patches and made to last. Includes an embroidered NASA cap. This costume has been very well-loved in our household!
- Melissa & Doug Zoo Friends Hand Puppet Set — (ages 2-6 years) This puppet set is great for parents and kids to play together. My kids love how easy it is to work these puppets and have produced numerous puppet shows with this set! We have used the individual puppets as party favors too. Great play value!
- Sholin Superhero Cape and Mask Costumes for Kids, Set of 5 — (ages 3 and up) One set includes five superhero capes and five coordinating masks allowing kids to change from one superhero to another while they save the day! The neck holes are large enough for adults to join in the fun too.
More Holiday Gift Guides to Explore:
Do you have a favorite classic play toy that I forgot to add? I would love to hear from you! Please a comment and share your ideas with us!