Chalkboard Fridge Magnets

These magnets are so easy to make and very practical for organization purposes. We are loving them and plan to make a lot more! To make your own chalkboard fridge magnets, you will need some metal frozen juice concentrate lids, a little chalkboard paint, and some magnets.

Paint one side of the juice can lid with chalkboard paint, and allow to dry for 24 hours… I thought maybe the paint would not adhere well to the metal surface, but it worked very well! We used about 3 coats of paint on each lid.
Attach magnets to the other side of the juice can lid. These were adhesive on one side and came in a package of 18 for less than $2 from Wal-Mart, so we plan to make more magnets as future gifts!
Write on the chalkboard side with some chalk, and hang to any magnetic surface. The chalk erases easily, and can be re-labeled as necessary. Enjoy!

Comments

1. MaryAnne says:

These are great! Emma's sitting on my lap, and she said, "I want to do that craft like that little girl, please Mama?" I think she might need to get a little older before we tackle chalkboard paint, though…

2. That is so cute! 🙂

3. Valerie says:

@ MaryAnne — That's so adorable! I know Emily said the same thing about Emma's peg dolls, and we are planning to do a similar project. 🙂

@ Sherry — Thank you!!

Also, it just occurred to me that these would work really well in lockers too. Why didn't I think of this when I was in high school??

4. Finally something to do with those juice lids. Thanks!

5. Valerie says:

@ Ivy — That's so funny! I know what you mean. I would save them thinking that they must be good for SOMETHING.

6. I like this idea, I am a magnet fanatic! I will try these with Lu. I just love your blog!
    Yes the hats were a big hit with Josh's coworkers, they actually wear them, and since we live in FL and he wrks outside they come in handy!

7. Every time I throw away a juice lid I ponder, "What could I do with this???" This is a great idea! I need to get some chalkboard paint. I am also planning on painting the top of my son's little wooden table with it. We don't have a lot of space, so I think this would be a great chalkboard surface (I hope!).

8. Valerie says:

@ Sherry — I'm sure Lu will have a lot of fun with this, and thanks for stopping by!

@ Sheri — I've never tried the chalkboard paint on a table before, but I know some people who have done that and it seems to work beautifully!

9. Justin and Kate Mills says:

What a great idea! I love chalkboard paint and always wanted a use for those juice lids.

10. So cool!

11. MamaFeelgood says:

I just saw these magnets in Wal-mart this weekend and wondered what I could do with them….now I know.

12. Stephanie Griffith says:

Excellent idea! My dad was just complaining about not having enough fridge magnets. This would make a good Father's Day gift for Grandpa.

13. Orange Juice says:

very inventive!

14. Teaching Heart Mom says:

Great idea! Thanks for sharinG!

15. I love that. I think we will be making those.

Thanks for sharing with Friday Showcase!!!

16. Christy says:

Super idea! I have to get some of that chalkboard paint. I love your blog, and have so many of your posts bookmarked!

17. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Wow, I love this idea! Super creative repurposing! I'll be linking.

18. Valerie says:

@ Stephanie — I know what you mean, so many times it seems like the fridge EATS the magnets (they keep disappearing!). We'll be making more of these for gifts too!

@ Rachel — Thanks so much for linking! I love checking your blog to see all the great projects listed there. 🙂

19. Shona Leah says: